We all admire the fascinating blue hue of the sapphire gemstones, but how many of us know the facts about this gem? We have loved the blue sapphire engagement ring of Lady Diana, but we are not fully aware about the various facts and legends associated with the royal blue gem. Let us read about the same in detail:
1) The name Sapphire came from the Greek word ‘Sappheiros’ which means the color blue.
2) It is one of the oldest known gemstone and its use dates back to times immemorial to us.
3) Ancient Persians believed that blue sapphires are chips from pedestal which support the earth and it is due to their reflection that the sky got its blue color.
4) Sapphire is the second hardest gemstone known, just after the diamonds. Its hardness measures 9 on the Mohs scale.
5) Due to its hardness, sapphire gemstone can be cut in almost all the popular gemstone cuts like round, oval, emerald, princess, cushion, etc.
6) It is the birthstone of the month of September.
7) Sapphire is also considered the gemstone for the ones celebrating their 5th or 45th wedding anniversaries.
8) It is interesting to know that a star sapphire is fondly given on the 65th wedding anniversary.
9) It is also the lucky stone for the zodiac sign Virgo.
10) Though blue sapphire is the popular choice of people, yet this gem is available in a number of other colors like pink, orange, yellow, etc.